Dr. Kovtun treats patients from Brookline, Boston, and surrounding areas with a personal approach to gum disease. Every one of us is different and deserving of care tailored to our situation and our body. When acting to prevent and treat gum disease, our team pulls together to discuss home care, perform specific hygiene treatments, and minimize the effects of oral bacteria through innovative procedures appropriate for the individual patient.
When you visit our Brookline dental office, you will see that we place a great deal of importance on the prevention of gum disease. This is because gum disease can be very subtle and therefore difficult to manage. We talk with patients about the signs of infection so that early care may be provided. If you notice that your gums bleed when you brush and floss or that you struggle with persistent bad breath, we encourage you to schedule an appointment. With early care, we have the opportunity to stop the infection before extensive damage can be done.
Complications of gum disease
There are numerous reasons to strive to prevent gum disease. The more research that has been done, the more we realize that oral health has a great deal to do with the health of the body.
- Gum disease, in its earliest stage, tends to affect the surface tissues in the mouth.
- Advanced gum disease weakens supportive tissues as well as bone structure, causing teeth to become unstable.
- Periodontal disease leads to tooth loss.
- Research has linked gum disease to conditions such as pre-term delivery, cardiovascular disease, increased risk of stroke, diabetes, and more.
Dr. Kovtun has more than twenty years of experience treating gum disease and other dental conditions. The office also has a Periodontist on staff to help treat your gum disease. Our patients benefit from his wealth of knowledge and his interest in obtaining results for the individual. Some of the treatment options that we offer for gum disease include:
- Laser gum treatment and pocket elimination can treat the infection.
- Deep hygiene cleanings scheduled as needed for optimal results. Most people expect twice-a-year cleaning appointments. Patients who are fighting gum disease may require a higher extent of care and they might be scheduled more frequently.
- Ozone therapy can be administered as an oral rinse during cleanings. We can also infuse diseased tissue with ozone. This powerful substance is completely natural and safe for patients of all ages. When administered to unhealthy tissues, ozone destroys pathogens and improves blood supply to the area to promote fast healing.
- Dr. Kovtun may recommend a professional-grade oral rinse designed to minimize the impact of oral bacteria.
- Herbal solutions exist for the management of gum health.
- When necessary, gum surgery will be scheduled.
We do all that we can to treat gum disease without surgical intervention. Our various therapies can be very effective at treating this condition.