Trust your dentist in Brookline, MA for safe home whitening that really works!
Today, you don’t have to hide a smile tarnished by years of coffee- and tea-drinking. Reveal your healthiest, brightest smile with professional home whitening in Brookline MA prescribed by Dr. Stan Kovtun of Alpha Plus Dental Center.
Professional whitening, in a nutshell
Generally, there are two whitening options offered by your dentist:
- In-office power bleaching – we expertly apply a powerful whitening gel to your teeth and unleash its bleaching properties with a specialized light. You can enjoy a several shades whiter smile in about an hour.
- Home whitening – A dental tray or appliance that resembles a mouthguard is customized to fit your mouth snugly, for precision and even whitening and comfort. Whitening gel is placed in the trays. When worn as directed by Dr. Kovtun, the trays deliver active whiteners to your teeth. See visible results in a day. Your smile gets gradually whiter. Optimal results are achieved in about two weeks.
Google teeth whitening, and you get more than 140 million results. Some of those generic results include kits that are marketed as delivering professional results from home, or products such as whitening pens and strips. Many of these products don’t live up to their promises. These products largely don’t contain enough of the active whitening agents to produce a noticeable difference in the appearance of your teeth. Over-the-counter whitening trays may irritate your gums and damage tissues, because they are designed to fit all mouths. Of course, your smile is unique. For this reason, Dr. Kovtun’s whitening trays are made from impressions of your mouth. You get a tray that fits comfortably and snugly to your mouth’s unique specifications. This feature is important, because the enclosed whitening gel is delivered to your teeth evenly (for natural and attractive results), without rubbing against the teeth, gums, and inside of the cheeks. Professional-grade products also seal in the whitening gel – no messy leaks!
You avoid damage to existing dental work or gum irritation with whitening kits prescribed and monitored by a dentist like Dr. Kovtun. When you consider the risks of complications from kits bought online or at the drugstore, these options don’t seem like such a great value after all.
OTC products may be a waste of money and time, because they typically don’t contain a high enough concentration of active whitening ingredients. You may see little more than a modest or temporary improvement in the appearance of your smile. Professional kits are equipped with whitening gel that contains enough active whiteners to penetrate tooth enamel. While extrinsic stains live on the surface of your teeth, intrinsic stains reside in the deeper layers of your teeth – between tooth enamel and the underlying dentin layer. The oxygen molecules in the whitening gel prescribed by Dr. Kovtun react with the discolored molecules that make your teeth look brown or yellow. This process breaks the bonds that hold stain molecules together. As the molecules are lifted, the entire tooth is whitened.
Whiter teeth, in four simple steps
For around two weeks, you’ll get into a straightforward habit that is no more time-intensive than the usual good brushing and flossing:
- First, load your tray with whitening gel. We’ll provide specific instructions on how much gel should be applied to the tray.
- Second, insert the gel-filled tray into your mouth. A light tap helps the tray conform well to the sides of your teeth. Wear the tray as instructed by Dr. Kovtun.
- Third, take out the tray and brush your teeth. Make sure to remove excess gel from your teeth. Rinse well to avoid swallowing the gel.
- Fourth, clean the tray with a soft-bristled brush and cool tap water. Keep the clean tray in the storage case provided by Alpha Plus Dental Center.
Should you have any concerns during treatment, the dental team welcomes your questions. Thanks to advancements in whitening products, professional treatments have eliminated most of the conventional concerns associated with bleaching – such as increased gum or tooth sensitivity.
Love your new look? Keep it!
A member of the International Academy of Oral Medicine & Toxicology, Dr. Kovtun takes your oral health and overall wellbeing very seriously. Your oral health is often reflected in the appearance of your smile. He’ll discuss ways to maintain the beautiful results from professional bleaching, including techniques to effectively remove surface stains with a brush and floss, and habits and products that can minimize the effects of coffee, tobacco, and other significant stain-producers.
Get your healthiest and whitest smile, starting today. Call (617) 274-8494 to schedule an appointment at Alpha Plus Dental Center in Brookline, MA.