Dental tips for a healthy smile during pregnancy in Brookline, MA
Most people know that hormones during pregnancy can affect their body in many ways, but did you know that pregnancy hormones also affect your teeth and gums? Many pregnant women find that their gums are more inflamed and irritated, and pregnant women are at greater risk for oral health problems. Below, Dr. Stan Kovtun, dentist in Brookline, MA, offers dental tips to maintain a healthy smile during pregnancy.
If possible, treat dental issues before you become pregnant
Gum disease has been linked to negative pregnancy outcomes, including premature labor and low birth weights. The bacteria due to inflamed gums can enter your bloodstream, where it can eventually reach the fetus. If you are suffering from gum disease or tooth decay, seeing your dentist to get these issues under control before you become pregnant can help give you and your baby a healthy start to your pregnancy.
Maintain good dental hygiene at home
It is more important than ever before to maintain good oral hygiene at home when you are pregnant. That means:
- Brushing after every meal, or at least two times per day, to remove food, debris, and disease-causing plaque and bacteria
- Floss or use other interdental cleaners every day to clean between your teeth and gums
- Talk with Dr. Kovtun about antibacterial mouthwashes or other rinses that aid in reducing oral bacterial counts.
If you find that brushing your teeth makes you gag, which is common during pregnancy, you can try brushing with a smaller, child-sized toothbrush and brushing your teeth later in the day when morning sickness may be less active.
Keep a healthy diet
Maintaining a healthy diet is not only good for you and your growing baby, but also your teeth and gums!
- Drink plenty of water to help wash away sugary substances and keep your mouth hydrated, which is important for maintaining fresh breath and fend off bacteria by keeping the mouth less acidic.
- Avoid sugary drinks and snacks
- Eat several servings of calcium-rich foods every day to maintain strong teeth
See your dentist regularly for check-ups during your pregnancy
Regular check-ups and professional cleanings help keep your teeth healthy and enable you to get ahead of developing oral health issues before they become problematic and difficult to treat. Call Alpha Plus™ Dental Center in Brookline, MA to schedule your appointment today! (617) 274-8494