Professional vs over the counter teeth whitening in Brookline
Teeth whitening, when done properly, is a fast and safe way to improve the appearance of your smile. However, some products sold for whitening may be dangerous, ineffective, or inconsistent in results. How can you be sure that you are receiving quality treatment? If you are purchasing a commercially available product, it’s virtually impossible.
Common problems with retail teeth whiteners include:
- Safety – Because there is very little regulation on over the counter whiteners, purchasing them is a bit of a gamble. Some products contain alarming concentrations of chemical agents, or abrasives that can harm tooth enamel.
- Inconsistency – Bleaching agents are effective on tooth enamel, but not on restorations. Whitening strips must contact the tooth surface, so they may leave dark areas when teeth are rotated or misaligned.
- Health concerns – Most people are good candidates for whitening. However, if you tend to have sensitivity issues, the formula needs to be adjusted accordingly. Even more concerning, problems such as deep decay or tooth fractures can expose nerves. In this case, application of bleaching gel can be extremely painful.
- Customization – One-size-fits-all trays rarely fit anyone perfectly. Sensitive teeth require a mild formula. Severe staining needs deep bleaching. Darkened fillings may need to be replaced. Every person has unique needs, and the best results are achieved through individualized treatment.
- Results – Over the counter products have varying degrees of effectiveness, but none compare to dental whitening. Professional strength formulas, applied properly, yield the fastest, most dramatic, and safest teeth whitening results.
If you are ready for your brightest smile, avoid the risks and disappointment of drugstore whiteners. Call (617) 274-8494 and schedule an appointment at Alpha Plus Dental Center for professional teeth whitening treatment. Our office is conveniently located in Brookline, MA and we proudly serve communities throughout the region with quality dental care.