Brookline, MA dentist offers emergency dental services for common dental injuries
We all hope to maintain beautiful, healthy smiles. However, the unexpected can occur. Whether you get bumped in the mouth playing a sport or you experience a broken tooth while eating, trauma can strike at any time. In Brookline, MA, Dr. Stan Kovtun and the team at Alpha Plus Dental Center offer emergency dental services for common dental injuries.
Common dental injuries
By definition, a dental emergency may include gum lacerations, tooth loss, a cracked or broken tooth, a damaged dental restoration or filling, or tooth pain. Dental emergencies can strike at anytime, even during the most routine activities. Common dental accidents or emergencies include the following:
- Sports injuries – Dental accidents during sporting events are common. These may include a fractured tooth, dislodged tooth, or a tooth that has been pushed back. Lacerations to the soft tissues are also possible. One way to reduce the chances of damage is by wearing a mouthguard and helmet during risky sports or recreational activities. A mouthguard protects the teeth and minimizes the potential damage to the lips, cheeks, and tongue.
- Eating hard foods – Chewing on hard items can cause problems. Avoid chewing on ice, popcorn kernels, or hard candy. These items can easily break a tooth, damage a crown, or knock out a filling. Biting fingernails can also damage the teeth or dental restorations.
- Tooth pain or infection – Tooth pain is often the first sign of a problem and a common reason for emergency dental appointments. Signs of an infected tooth include throbbing through the jaw and neck, facial or neck swelling, and fever. An abscessed tooth occurs when bacteria enters the tooth through a dental cavity, crack, or chip in the tooth. It is commonly caused by severe tooth decay, gingivitis or gum disease, or trauma to the tooth. Even if the pain subsides, the infection will not clear on its own. Dental treatment is needed.
Existing patients call us at (617) 277-6360
Schedule an Appointment today.
Treating dental emergencies
When an emergency strikes, it is important to stay calm. Handling your injury or pain properly is important. Contact our office in Brookline. The sooner your emergency situation is addressed, the better the chance of a positive outcome. While you wait for your appointment, follow these tips to protect your injuries.
- For a knocked out adult tooth, only handle the tooth by the crown. The tooth needs to stay moist. If you can, place it into the empty socket, put the tooth in milk, or hold it between your cheek and gums.
- For a chipped or broken tooth, rinse the area immediately to cleanse the area. Hold cold compresses on your face to minimize swelling.
- If you have a toothache, rinse the area with warm water and floss your teeth gently. You may take an oral pain reliever, but do not place it on the tooth or gums.
- If you have soft tissue trauma, rinse your mouth to clean the wound and apply a cold compress.
- For injuries to the lip or tongue, gently cleanse the area. Apply a cold compress to try to minimize swelling. If the bleeding does not stop, go to the emergency room.
When pain strikes or an injury occurs, remain calm and call the dentist’s office. The team at Alpha Plus Dental Center is fully qualified to treat a range of dental issues. In an emergency situation, the priorities are to address the pain and dental problem, stabilize the teeth and gums, and prevent additional issues. By keeping the patient comfortable, the dental issue including the appearance and function of the smile can be addressed once the patient is no longer in pain. Our team offers a range of services to treat routine dental needs and emergencies. Dr. Kovtun utilizes state-of-the-art technology to assess and correct the problems at hand. The goal is to maintain and protect the health of your mouth and to preserve the natural teeth. Restorative and cosmetic services such as crowns, bridges, or dental implants may be necessary to restore the function and beauty of your smile.
If you experience sudden dental problems, contact your dental team for emergency dental services. Early treatment helps prevent the damage from spreading. Contact Dr. Stan Kovtun and the team at Alpha Plus Dental Center in Brookline, MA. Call (617) 277-6360.