Five reasons people in Brookline seek alternatives for amalgam fillings
There was a time when amalgam was the standard filling material in virtually every dental office. Few alternatives existed, and few people were concerned with the biocompatibility or appearance of so-called silver fillings.
With advances in dentistry, and advances in scientific knowledge, that situation has changed dramatically. Today’s savvy dental patients seek mercury-free restorations, from Alpha Plus Dental Center in Brookline. Why? Here are the top five reasons:
- Silver fillings aren’t silver – The common name for amalgam is misleading. The formula is actually a metal alloy containing very little silver. It is about half mercury along with small amounts of several other metals.
- Make cavities disappear – You don’t want to see a cavity when you look in the mirror, but you don’t want to see a silver spot either. Our carefully crafted aesthetic restorations blend flawlessly with your tooth enamel, for a natural appearance.
- Preserve healthy tooth structure – Composite fillings are highly customizable, requiring less aggressive tooth preparation. That means less drilling, and more of your tooth left intact.
- Minimize risk of tooth damage – Amalgam expands and contracts with temperature change at a faster rate than tooth enamel does. The stress may lead to micro-fracturing of the treated tooth, or premature failure of the filling.
- Minimize risk of allergy – Metal allergies and sensitivities are quite common, leading many people to avoid amalgam. We use composite resin filling material and porcelain restorations, both of which are beautiful and biocompatible.
You take your health seriously, and you deserve to see a dentist who does as well. Dr. Kovtun and his team are committed to using safe, gentle, biocompatible dental solutions to create spectacular smiles.
Your beautiful, healthy smile is just a phone call away. Contact Alpha Plus Dental Center at (617) 274-8494 and schedule an appointment today.